Steven B. Edwards is the Director of Instrumental Studies at Falmouth High School. He has been teaching music in the public school systems for the past 17 years in Massachusetts and Connecticut. He has been the director of award-winning Concert Bands, Chamber Ensembles, Jazz Bands and Marching Bands for FHS, The Ellington Public School System (CT), Granby Memorial High School (CT), and Norwich Free Academy (CT). Recently, Mr. Edwards was honored as 2012 Teacher of the Year by the Cape Cod Symphony Orchestra and Cape Cod Conservatory.
Mr. Edwards has always felt strongly about being active in his professional affiliations and associations to further support music in schools state wide. He has held various state positions such as
- Mass Association of Jazz Educators (MAJE)- Cape Cod Coastal chair
- Cape Cod Music Educators Assoc. (CCMEA) Band chair
- Connecticut Music Education Assoc. (CMEA) Eastern Region Director and Executive Board member, CMEA Student Affairs Board member, CMEA Eastern Region Jazz Band Chair, CMEA Eastern Region Audition Festival Site Chair
- North Central Connecticut Conference (NCCC) Band Chair, NCCC Site Chair
- Beginning Educator State Training(B.E.S.T.) Mentor since 2000 / B.E.S.T. Portfolio Scorer in 2001
- Ellington Education Association Peer Coach
- Cooperating Teacher in association with the HARTT School of Music, University of Connecticut and Central Connecticut State University.
Mr. Edwards attended the HARTT School of Music in CT and the University of North Texas. He holds a Masters of Music in Education and Conducting and a Bachelors in Music Education. He has performed with John LaBarbera, Steve Davis, Jimmy Green, Steve Wilson, Gary Green, and Stanley DeRusha just to name a few. Additionally, Mr. Edwards has commissioned several published band compositions to further develop music education and presented Digital Music, Ideas for General Music Technology at the Massachusetts MMEA All-State Conference 2012 and the MassCUE Conference co-sponsored by the Massachusetts Computer Using Educators (MassCUE) and the Massachusetts Association of School Superintendents (M.A.S.S.) in 2008, 2009, and 2010.
"My wife and I moved to Falmouth with our son in 2006 and truly enjoy the community and beautiful scenery. It is a pleasure to know and work with Falmouth’s young musicians and I always look forward to making great music with them."
For additional information regarding the program, log onto https://sites.google.com/a/falmouth.k12.ma.us/band/